Monday, February 7, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss?

Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" made me think of television and my young cousins. Yes I know that children watch too much television these days. But it is true. One day I was conversing with my now 11 year old cousin about what she wanted to do when she grows up. She told me that she wanted to be a crime scene investigator because she liked the T.V show "Bones." My first reaction was, who in their right mind wants to see dead bodies in a estate of decomposition? Someone who watches reruns of Hannah Montana and never gets tired. My point is that i wonder truly if she has any idea the fowl smell of death. Sure she can watch Bones over and over but does she truly grasp her fixation on dead bodies. I in the other hand know how dead bodies look like, not human though but I was raised in a rural area and in my adventures I found dead animals often. I wish to explain to her the experience I had with dead and how it really is but she refused to listen. She as I type challenges me. She is so sure of her "reality." Now I am no one to kill her dream. She will do as she wishes or at least I hope she does. What I wonder is if she realizes the seriousness of her career. Television shows are entertainment or so they say but for many children like my cousin they are source of knowledge. She understand much of the world through what she sees on the box. She like the people watching the shadows understand the world different than someone who has witness the real thing. I try to explain it to her in a way she can understand but she trust 20th Century Fox more.    

No comments:

Post a Comment